If you have a garage, then you know that feeling when you drive out your car only to remember you haven’t closed your garage when you’re halfway down the street. This shouldn't be the case anymore because we have smart garage door controllers that allow you to close the garage door using your phone. When shopping for smart door controllers, there are certain things you should be on the lookout for. For example, you want a device that knows when to open and when to close. You don’t need a robotic device that can go haywire and close on your car as you drive out or disobey your command. Below are the top smart door controllers in the market.
The Chamberlain MyQ is the most popular smart garage door controller and it was the first of its kind to be manufactured. It is very easy to install or set up and it allows you to control your garage remotely. The MyQ requires you to bolt a bracket onto your ceiling rather than the more common adhesive tape approach used by other manufacturers. Also, Chamberlain can work with smart home products like Wink, Nest and Xfinity Home to control and automate several devices from one platform. In addition to that, MyQ comes with the quality of a trusted garage brand which makes it top the list of best smart garage door controllers. Once the bracket is mounted, then the door sensor to the door is mounted too. You can control the device via your phone or iOS and you need a Wi-Fi connection. However, the door can still work perfectly with a weak signal.
This smart garage door controller relies on a laser to determine whether or not the garage will open. The laser bounces off an adhesive reflector that users stick to the inside of the door, and in case it doesn’t make contact the door is deemed to be open. With Garadget, you have an opportunity to customize your smart garage functions since it has an SDK available for advanced users. Additionally, the standard open/close functionality and usage updates are included in the Garadget although it operates differently from others. If you want a more customizable smart garage door, then this is the best option for you.
Nexx Garage is one of the best smart garage door openers because of its ability to control up to three separate garage doors at once. Furthermore, it offers alerts for door opens and closes including push notification reminders whenever you leave the garage open. Other features include Bluetooth sensor bolted to the garage door for the door positioning monitor device meaning it will not lose connection. With Nexx Garage, you can set parameters for door activity that can result in triggered actions. For example, if you leave the garage open for longer than the desired amount, it automatically closes it. For compatibility, Nexx can be used with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and IFTTT.
Garageio is another smart door controller that has been around for a while and it uses a Wi-Fi connection to control closing and opening of up to three garage doors. As opposed to other smart garage controllers, this device has a web-based dashboard that allows users to view door activity without a smartphone. Garageio is well compatible with Samsung SmartThings, Amazon Echo, and IFTTT.
To Consider Before Your Purchase
- Horsepower: When replacing your existing garage door with a smart garage controller, you need to find a door controller with the right horsepower. While you can use a door controller with one-third horsepower, it tends to wear out faster than a half horsepower door controller. The idea here is to invest a little extra for a more capable door controller.
- Compatibility: You must be keen when buying smart garage door controller to ensure you pick one that is compatible with your existing garage door. For those with an automatic garage door, they find it less complicated to install a smart garage door controller than for those with manual doors.
- App compatibility: Whichever smart door garage controller you choose; it must be controlled via a smartphone thus ensure the app it comes with is compatible with your smartphone.
- Chamberlain MyQ-G0301: A high-quality smart garage door controller and can be controlled even when the connection is weak.
- Garadget: Allows the users to customize the door into their own liking. Compatible with multiple SmartThings as compared to other devices.
- Nexx Garage: A uniquely made device that can control up to three doors once. This controller closes the door automatically when left unattended for long.
- Garageio: Excellent features like the web-based dashboard that enables you to control garage door activity without a smartphone.
What Do They Say on Other Sites
“The MyQ hub is very easy to install. I couldn't get my iPhone to connect to the hub (was using Bluetooth, I think I was supposed to connect with WiFi maybe?) but I used the WPS feature on my router and it connected almost right away. Installation in the garage was very simple with a cordless drill, and the unit immediately 'learned' my Craftsman garage door signal. I now get notifications on my iPhone when the door opens and closes and if it stays open longer than I want I have the ability to close it remotely. I'm very happy with the unit and would recommend to anyone who wants to have remote access and information for a Chamberlain brand garage door opener.” (Alpha on Amazon)
“Easy install. Hardest part is just that all garage doors aren't flat on top. Other than that I'd recommend getting the wifi and app all connected prior to installing it. It was a smaller device than what I thought it would be.” (Casey R On Amazon)
The site isn't responsible for the opinions expressed by third parties, delegating any legal responsibility to them.